Sunday, August 3, 2014

BTS Backpack Event: How far can I stretch $25 to buy school suppliesfor kids in need? #givingbackpack #ebates

Disclosure:  I was provided $25 by Ebates, the sponsor of this event, to purchase a backpack and school supplies for children in need. I was not compensated in any other way for this post.

I had the opportunity to participate in a great event recently to benefit underprivileged kids. It is an annual event called the BTS Backpack Event. Ebates is the generous sponsor of this event. Bloggers volunteer to purchase at least $25 worth of school supplies including a backpack for Back to School. Bloggers can choose to supplement with additional items from your own pocket if they so choose like I did. The goal is to stretch the $25 as far as you can to get the most for your money.


Have you tried Ebates yet?  It pays so much to shop online with Ebates. Ebates is the pioneer and leader of online cash back shopping. Ebates pays members (like me!) cash back every time they shop online as well as provides them with the best coupons and deals online. Founded in 1998, Ebate's websites have paid over 250 million in cash to it's members. That's why millions of people have joined Ebates. Join today and save everytime you shop online. It is automatic and no work for you which is the sweetest part of all.  All your fave stores participate from Amazon to Kohl's. I can't tell you how many times I have saved a pretty penny when I was considering a purchase and then realized the additional savings Ebates would bring me. From back to school supplies and clothes to jewelry and even EBay purchases, you will be amazed at all the merchants on that Ebates list.

I started trolling the circulars a few weeks ago when I found out I was participating in this BTS event. It was a real challenge to find back to school deals this early but I was determined not to wait until the last minute. A big work project and a business trip loomed ahead so I wanted to make sure I didn't forget this important project as it benefits kids in need.  I saw a good sale going on at Staples so I was able to swing by there a few weeks ago. I picked up just over $18 in supplies including the following deals and more:


Slider pencil cases at .75 each
Bic Cristal pens at $1.00 each
Disappearing Glue sticks 5-pack for $2.00
1 subject notebooks .17 each
12 count yellow #2 pencils .68 each
Crayola colored pencils 12 ct .97 each
Crayola crayons 24 pack .50 each
Crayola colored markers  10 ct .97 each
Papermate pens $1.00 10 ct

I also picked up some candy bright folders there but I forget how much they were.  Definitely less than .25 each though.  The Staples brand glue was like .50! 

I happened to be food shopping the day after my Staples trip and right after my beat-me-up boot camp class and noticed a huge display at Shop-Rite.  I know. Sometimes you can find weird deals at strange places you would not expect. I was just in there to do my quick restock of milk, fruits and vegetables but look what I found.

Papermate pens 10 pack +bonus .44 ea
Highlighters mixed colors .99 each
Sharpie pens .69 each


Of course I bought multiples of everything since it was a good cause. I had found a great deal on a back pack a while back and had fortuitously bought two... because you never know and look, that worked out great because I just included one of those as part of the program. It allowed me to stretch my dollar even further!

The backpack was originally $29.99 (price tag still attached) but it was marked down on Kohls.com if I remember correctly and maybe it was $7.00? Of course figure in my Ebates savings with that purchase and shave off another 3-6%! It even comes with a bonus matching folder. I spent a little bit out of my own pocket but I did it gladly to help out kids in need. Kids need supplies to learn and if this can help then I am in to assist wholeheartedly!

This was a great feel-good project that I am thrilled that I was able to participate in along with BTS and Ebates.  

No comments: